So yesterday I posted my before and after picture of my fireplace remodel. Here are a few more pictures of the step-by-step process from beginning until the beautiful end. I used AirStone, available from Lowes, in the Spring Creek color. It took a few weekends to complete the entire thing; but that’s because I had to cut & adhere stones between fetching popcicles for the kids.
Here is my before picture. Not bad, but so plain and uninteresting.
I started at the bottom (obviously). The bottom part was easy because I could work with the concrete patio as my level surface to set the stones on.
When I got about half way up the sides of the fireplace I realized that I needed the top of the stones needed to be even with the top of the fireplace. So I used duct tape and a really long level and placed my stones so that the next row up would stretch all the way across the top of the fireplace.
Here is the stone work all finished.
My final step was to build a mantel for the top of the stone. I followed this tutorial and stained it to match our new pergola that sits off the porch.